Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, May 14, 2007

Insulted on my 1st Mother's Day

Yes, at church yesterday an old lady asked if I were pregnant again. Can you believe that??? I know I need to lose a few lbs still, but I didn't think I looked pregnant. Now, I'm determined to lose weight. Yep, that's what I needed. Of course, tonight I can't go walking because it's raining. I could walk on the treadmill, but now it's 8:40 and too late. Tomorrow I'm thinking of doing it before work. Hopefully I can make myself get up!

My first Mother's Day was nice. We went to church, then we went to eat lunch just me, B and Tad. Then we went to look for patio furniture for our deck. That's what I wanted for Mother's Day. Since we have a new house I like presents that are practical. We found some, but haven't bought it yet. We couldn't fit it in our vehicle. Maybe this weekend sometime we can get it.

Tad and I are feeling better. I'm still coughing and blowing my nose a lot, but I feel better. Tad sounded a little wheezy today, but he's feeling better. He even ate cereal today and yesterday. Not a lot, but we are making progress. Yeah!! I'm really in no rush. I figure he's only 4 1/2 months so we still have plenty of time. He has a doctor's appointment tomorrow so we'll see if he get's his shots and if we'll be going to a pulmonologist or not. Hopefully these new breathing treatments will help!

I have a little mother in law story about this weekend. She was driving me crazy because she kept saying, Tad needs to eat. He's hungry. Look - he's chewing his hands... Well, each time we saw her I had just fed him and he was also spitting up so you could tell he wasn't hungry. He wasn't fussy either. When he's hungry he's usually really screaming to eat! I kept insisting that he wasn't hungry, but she kept saying he wants to eat. Well, I didn't feed him, but I wanted to just scream "Shut up!". I know that's minor compared to others...

Well, I'm tired and my little one is sleeping. I'm hoping he sleeps all night tonight. He's almost there, but not quite. He went to bed late last night so that's part of the problem too. Tonight I feed him at 7:45 then put him in his bed. He put himself to sleep. Yeah!! He's pretty good about that. Now hopefully he'll sleep until atleast 4:30.

I do have a couple of questions... Some are from observations from others with children.

- Do you let your children drink juice? If so, at what age? I didn't think it was advised and I know someone that is doing it at 7 months.
- When you start feeding solids, do you feed cereal at every meal? Again, another observation...
- When did you let your children sleep on their stomachs? Tad really sleeps best on his stomach. He can turn over now and he can scoot.
- He loves this little blankie I got for him. Is it safe to let him sleep with it? Would you?

Thanks for your help!!

6 comments:

Mamaebeth said...

ooh ooh, solicited advice... i am so excited.

1) no juice except if he is sick or it is an unusual situation. jonathan gets water or milk. on the rate occasion he asks for juice i add (baby) vitamins to it.
2)it just depends. i think we did solids at meal times and just milk any other... he still needs to be eating mostly milk.
3)we put JD on his side. go with your instincts.
4)i would let him sleep on top of the blanket or put it on his legs.

Giftie Etcetera said...

A female lawyer overhead me talking to my friend in court about babies and congratulated me on being pregnant, while looking at my belly. In her defense, we were talking about babies. But still...she was staring at my belly! It happens, especially from people who haven't had babies and don't realize that your belly never gets back to normal.

MILs suck. Hugs.

- Do you let your children drink juice? If so, at what age? I didn't think it was advised and I know someone that is doing it at 7 months.

We rarely let Ander have juice because it's bad for his teeth. If someone else gives it to him, we allow that. But we don't usually give it and certainly didn't before he was a year old. We've made an occassional exception of watered down (half and half) white grape juice or a couple of sips of my oj, because he's been getting so many colds and refusing fruit, so we are trying to give him vitamin C. But not often and not a lot. Mostly, he drinks whole milk or water.

- When you start feeding solids, do you feed cereal at every meal? Again, another observation...

I did with Ander, because he was getting cereal in his bottle anyway for reflux, and I prefered him to get it off a spoon. I also liked him eating as a family. But if we were on the road or something, I didn't.

Even now, we eat food and snacks at designated times, like breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner. Water (and milk to an extent) are on demand, and bottles were always on demand, but food comes at certain times. He's used to it, and that's basically when he gets hungry now.

- When did you let your children sleep on their stomachs? Tad really sleeps best on his stomach. He can turn over now and he can scoot.

At some point, Ander starting putting himself on his tummy (really more his side). The doctor told us that once he did that, there was no need to wake him and turn him over. My cousin Stac only did belly sleeping, though.

- He loves this little blankie I got for him. Is it safe to let him sleep with it? Would you?

We let Ander once he outgrew his sleep sack (probably around Tad's age). At some point, you have to choose between getting sleep and following every rule perfectly. Following the rules is important, but it is not always practical. I would let him sleep with it (since you asked ;)).

Anonymous said...

1) Christine only drinks milk and water with me. I don't have juice in the house so she never gets it. We went to a birthday party the other day and they had cute little juice boxes for the kids. Christine would try to drink out of it and she would squeeze it and the juice would come shooting out of the straw all over her. My baby isn't used to the squeeze reaction.
2) If I remember correctly we only gave her ceral with applesause for breakfast. The rest of the time she ate solids it was bananas, yams, green beans etc. When she first started solids she got most of her nutrients from the formula and the ceral was more to get her used to the feeling of solid food.
3) I put christine on her back, she usually stayed that way or went to her side naturally. I agree that if he naturally rolls onto his stomach it is probably fine.
4) Christine has a 'wolfie' that she sleeps with every night. It is her transition object and the only thing she brings between Brad's and my house. I have fostered it in her so she will always have something that is constant. I think putting the blanket near the foot of the crib would be fine. I wouldn't put it near his head or top of his body though (especially since it sounds like he rolls around at night).

Sammy Jankis said...

Uhm, I have to disagree with K's memory on the blanket. Ander didn't outgrow his sleepsack until her was closer to 9 months old. We let him sleep in that until around that age. Then we transitioned him to footed pajamas. I don't think we left a loose blanket in the crib until he was between 11 or 12 months.

Anonymous said...

I'm a couple days late, but I'll give my 2 cents anyway. :-)

1 - I don't remember exactly when she first had juice, but I think it was about her first birthday, maybe a little before. She mostly has it at daycare, with breakfast. At home she mostly gets milk or water, but when we travel I'll bring along small apple juices that don't need refrigeration.
2 - Mixing cerial is a pain, I quickly started on other food - sweet potatos, beans etc. (I started with veggies, and she still loves vegies) I started with one meal a day, then after about a month added another, etc. She didn't really start eating "with" us untill she was old enough get cheerios or diced banana to her own mouth.
3- when she could get there on her own.
4- I would say yes, but keep it tucked under the arm pits or lower. I live in a cold climate, so she's had blankets from a relativly young age, in addition to the footed sleepers. (I lit a fire in the wood stove this evening, its supposed to get down to 35F...)

Rachel said...

1) Most kids love juice, but it's got very little nutritional value; I'd recommend waiting at least till he's a year old.
2)we stopped messing with cereals quite early, mainly because Nick found them boring. So I have no advice, as such.
3)Once he can roll over on his own, it's safe for him to sleep on his tummy.
4)Just keep the blanket down low on his body. Again, now that he's moving around with conscious control, there's a lot less danger of him having serious breathing problems.